Thursday, March 29, 2007

Poetry Break: "The Little Blue Engine" by Shel Silverstein

Introduction
Tell the story (or read a version) of the Little Engine That Could. Then follow up with this version that ends differently. Focus on the refrain ("I think I can, I think I can , I think I can.") It plays up to the "unexpected" ending. The students will have fun joining in on the refrain, chanting "I think I can" together.

The Little Blue Engine
by Shel Silverstein

The little blue engine looked up at the hill.
His light was weak, his whistle was shrill.
He was tired and small, and the hill was tall,
And his face blushed red as he softly said,
"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

So he started up with a chug and a strain,
And he puffed and pulled with might and main.
And slowly he climbed, a foot at a time,
And his engine coughed as he whispered soft,
"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

With a squeak and a creak and a toot and a sigh,
With an extra hope and an extra try,
He would not stop--now he neared the top--
And strong and proud he cried out loud,
"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!"

He was almost there, when--CRASH! SMASH! BASH!
He slid down and mashed into engine hash
On the rocks below...which goes to show
If the track is tough and the hill is rough,
THINKING you can just ain't enough!

[from Where the Sidewalk Ends: 30th Anniversary Edition (2004, HarperCollins)]

Extension
Ask students which story they agree with. Do they believe anything is possible if a person wants it enough? Or do they believe there are some obstacles which just can't be overcome?

Focusing on refrain, challenge students to find other poems with refrains.

1 comment:

Conradw said...

Nearly 20 years ago, a teacher did almost this exact thing with our class.

I loved it. It was the first time I felt that a teacher wasn't humouring, or belittling me. It taught me the importance, at an early age, of setting achievable goals and reaching them.

It was one of the first stories I'd ever encountered without a happy ending, but much better than that, it had a lesson.